Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Essentials for Traveling with a Baby


This past weekend I journeyed to FL for one of my best college girlfriends wedding. I didn't realize how much different traveling is when you have a baby in tow and a husband who can't go because of work. I'm exhausted but I'm so glad we went! It was a gorgeous wedding on the white sand beaches of Destin, FL.

While my husband was unable to come with us, my best friend/roomate from college (Ashley) was able to come with us which was super fun! I don't know how in the world I would have been able to get through the traveling without her. Two words: Life Saver. So if you're going to be traveling with a little person between the ages of 3-6 months, here are some essentials you'll need before you begin the trip in addition to having a traveling companion to help!

1.) Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes  - Cree has started to absolute anything to do with music and lights and this was crucial to keep her entertained during the 8-10 hour trip to and from FL. She's still learning how to reach out and grab things right now as well and this also gives her that incentive as well. Right now you can get this for a steal on Amazon with free shipping for $8.

2.) Infantino Go GaGa Mirror Toy  - My child loves to look at that pretty baby in the mirror any chance she gets so a few weeks ago I got this Infantino attachment for her car seat. She will just stare at the mirror and talk to the baby in the mirror to her hearts content. This is available at Target online or in store for $8.99.

3.) Go GaGa Squeeze and Teethe Elephant KiKi - We think that Cree is beginning to start teething as pretty much everything she touches goes into her mouth and one of the things she absolutely loves is this Elephant anywhere near her mouth. It also squeaks and she loves when it makes that sound. This is also available at Target online or in store for $11.99.

4.) Medela 9Volt Vehicle Lighter Adapter - As a breastfeeding mother, traveling is tough when it comes to feedings and I realized I would be lost without the car charger for my Medela Pump N Style. My system for feeding Cree while on the way home (I learned a lot on the way there) was I pumped before we left at 5:30am and then when she was ready for another feeding around 9am, we stopped and I changed her diaper and then we headed back on the road and I gave her the bottle I had pumped so we didn't loose much time. Once she finished the bottle I was able to pump while Ashley drove and then what I pumped out I was able to give her for the next feeding, and so on, you get the picture. By being able to pump in the car using the adapter I'm pretty sure we saved about 1.5 hours. You can get an adapter for your Medela pump at Target or WalMart for $19.99. I was able to score a Medela Pump N Style with a car charger off of Craigslist for a mere $40, I call that thrifting at it's finest!

The wedding was lovely, it's so fun to be able to be there for friends during their big life moments! These ladies are the kinds of friends that I can go months without seeing and it's like no time has passed at all, you only get a couple of those friends in a lifetime and I'm so glad these ladies are some of mine. 



1 comment: